This flavorful soup is packed with veggies and fish and seasoned with Old bay and Cajun seasoning which gives it a wonderful seafood flavor! This fish and veggie soup is a favorite of mine to make when I have Tilapia or salmon on hand and pairs well with Copy cat Red Lobster Biscuits, Garlic pretzel knots or Homemade bread!
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Fish and Veggie soup
- 5 quart stock pot (linked below)
- Cutting board (linked below)
- Chef's knife (linked below)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small red potatoes, chunked
- 1/2 cup onion, diced white or yellow
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chunked
- 1 cup diced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 5-7 oz. tilapia or salmon fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Old bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (optional)
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth *see substitutions below
- 1 cup tomato juice
- In a 5 quart stock pot, saute and stir potatoes, onions, carrots, and garlic cloves in olive oil over medium heat until potatoes are crisp tender and onions are soft.
- Add mushrooms (optional), fish, and corn. Saute for 5 minutes longer, or until mushrooms are soft and fish is mostly cooked through.
- Add seasonings, tomato juice, and chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a boil, then turn heat to med-low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are soft.
Equipment needed for this fish and veggie soup with Old bay:
- 5 quart stock pot A large 5 quart stockpot is nice to have for many types of soups, especially this fish and veggie soup!
- Cutting board. All those veggies require a nice cutting board, I prefer to use a plastci one that is also dish washer friendly.
- Chef’s knife A nice and sharp chef’s knife will help the chopping process go more smoothly!
you can also use 3 cups water and 2-3 chicken bouillon cubes instead of the chicken broth.
If you are following a specific diet and cannot have meat, or meat broth, you can use vegetable broth in this fish and veggie soup.
Seasonings can be added or subtracted from. A good substitute for Cajun seasoning would be garlic salt (you may wish to add it to taste).
You can also add or subtract from the veggies, If you want a quick and easy version simply add a bag of veggie medley to the soup instead of carrots, mushrooms and corn. If adding frozen veggies you can add them in when you add the broth and tomato juice, because they will not need to be sauteed.
Seafood is a favorite of mine, no matter what form it comes in! I like to buy Fish and shrimp when on sale and then keep it in my freezer for special occasions such as this fish and veggie soup or Salmon stuffed shells! This fish and veggie soup can also be made with vegetable broth if you are following the Pescatarian diet.
Feel free to pin for later and show off your creation by tagging me on Instagram. Thank you for your support!!