Growing up in the Amish we often had soft pretzel night with fresh, buttery soft pretzels made in our propane ovens and then dipped in a creamy cheese sauce we call “shmear kaes” but also known as cup cheese. These fluffy pretzels are an original recipe from a combination of Amish cook books.
Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite Recipes!
Amish Soft Pretzels
- 2 Tablespoons Yeast Active dry
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
baking soda mixture
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Pretzel salt or coarse sea salt
Preheat oven to 400 (after rise time)
- 1 Whisk together yeast, 1 1/2 cup warm water and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Allow to rest for 5 minutes then stir in salt.
- Transfer the bowl to a stand mixer (you can also mix by hand if you prefer), then add 1 cup bread flour and mix for several minutes until the flour is well incorporated. Add the remaining bread flour and 1 cup all purpose flour (reserving the 1/4 cup for later) in increments, mixing well between each addition.
- Sprinkle reserved flour onto a counter top, then remove the dough from the mixer and knead, incorporating remaining flour if the dough is sticky. Once the dough is soft and pliable return it to a bowl, lightly greased with a butter wrapper or a teaspoon of olive oil, and cover with a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and shape it into a log. Cut 12 sections and roll them into thin strips, then shape them into pretzels. Take 3/4 cup water and 1 Tablespoon baking soda and whisk them together is a large flat bottomed bowl (a 9 in. pie plate works as well). Dunk the soft pretzels in the baking soda mixture then transfer to greased cookie sheets and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for ten-15 minutes in preheated oven, or until tops and bottoms are golden brown, then remove and brush tops with butter.
Optional but delicious:
Serve with cup cheese or honey mustard.
These Soft Pretzels are an excellent treat for the weekend. I can highly recommend serving them with cup cheese and even a side of deli ham and pickles for the perfect Sunday evening snack!