Prep time 20 min.
Refrigeration: 30 min.
Cook time 30-40 min.
- 8 slices (thin sliced) bacon.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 4 swiss cheese slices, halved.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon old bay seasoning or season all.
- 2 eggs, beaten.
- vegetable oil for frying.
For the parmesan sauce.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Preheat oven to 400.
- Cover a large, rectangular cookie sheet with parchment paper, then line bacon strips on top. Bake bacon for 10 to 15 minutes, until soft-baked.
- Cut chicken strips in half length-wise, then cover with plastic wrap. Flatten chicken breasts with a wooden rolling pin or the flat side of a meat tenderizer. Cut strips in half (length-wise again), so that you have 8 thin, flat strips.
- Layer swiss cheese strips, then bacon slices on top of the chicken strips. Note* You may need to fold the bacon in half in order for it to fit. Roll up the chicken, bacon and swiss, then secure with a toothpick. Repeat the process for all 8 strips.
- Beat eggs, then mix flour, bread crumbs, and spices in a separate bowl. Dip chicken rollups in egg on all sides then dredge with flour and shake off the excess. Place Rollups in an 8 by 8 inch baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the rollups to firm up for frying.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet (around 1/4 inch of oil), and preheat oven to 425. Remove Chicken rollups from the refrigerator, then fry in hot oil for 3-5 minutes per side until nice and golden.
- Return fried chicken rollups to the 8 by 8 inch baking dish ( you may need to wipe excess flour from the dish first), then bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees).
- While chicken rollups are baking, melt butter in a small sauce pan, then whisk in flour until smooth. Add milk and bring to a light boil, stirring rapidly for a minute or two until sauce has thickened. Turn heat to low, then stir in salt, mustard, soy sauce and parmesan cheese. Cook and stir until all components are well combined and sauce is thick and creamy.
- Allow cooked chicken Rollups to cool slightly, then serve with warm mustard sauce.
We had this dish with honeyed carrots and macaroni with cheese sauce ( I cheated a bit and made a double batch of the parmesan sauce, then stirred half of it into the macaroni), It was delicious!
For a Step by Step Photo Tutorial of this recipe; Follow me on Pinterest at thismomcooks and see the Chicken Bacon Swiss Rollups Idea pin.