This Potato Salad was inspired by several recipes from my original Amish cookbooks. Recently on a busy Saturday, I bought a container of potato salad from a Mennonite store and absolutely loved it! I dug through my cookbooks to try to replicate it and this Amish version was the closest I could get to the potato salad from the bulk food store. This fresh Potato salad with eggs, shredded potatoes, veggies and a homemade dressing tastes much better than buying it from Walmart and is the perfect make-ahead dish for your picnics or potlucks this summer.
This post may contain affiliate links of which I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclaimer here.
Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes or sign up below for email updates on new recipes.
Authentic Amish potato salad
- 5 large potatoes peeled and blemishes removed
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup diced green or red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced celery optional
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots *see note
- 1/4 cup shredded onion yellow or white
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise or Miracle whip
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- few dashes black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add a few dashes of salt then cook for 20-30 minutes until soft, but not mushy because you will need them a bit firmer for shredding. Place the cooked potatoes in a colander or strainer to drain and cool.
- Shred the carrots and onions, hard boiled eggs and cooled potatoes, then finely dice the celery and pepper. Place shredded and diced veggies and eggs in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the mayo (or salad dressing), vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard and black pepper together until well combined and smooth, then pour the homemade dressing over the shredded potatoes and veggies and gently fold with a spatula to combine.
- Chill for several hours or more before serving.
Try serving this Authentic Amish Potato salad with Homemade pizza or crockpot meatballs. We like to serve our potato salad with grilled chicken.
Amish Potato salad ingredients: Potatoes, carrots, onion, pepper, hard boiled eggs and homemade dressing.
I prefer to shred my potatoes for Amish potato salad, but if you like a chunkier potato salad you can cube the potatoes before cooking. Cook the cubed potatoes for 15-20 minutes and drain well. If using cubed vs shredded potatoes you may need less homemade dressing. When trying out this recipe on cubed potatoes I found the salad to be a bit runny with the full amount of dressing so 1/2 to 3/4 of the dressing should be enough.
Because I find my shredder to be a bit of a menace, I preferred to finely dice my carrots as well as the bell peppers using my Vosteed Morgan series chef’s knife. You can grab your own at Vosteed or check out their Facebook page.
To boil the hard boiled eggs, lightly tap them against the edge of the saucepan to allow a small crack (this makes the peeling process to be a bit easier), then boil the eggs covered in water for ten minutes. Remove the eggs from the heat and allow them to set for a few minutes in the hot water. Drain the eggs and place them in a cold ice water bath before peeling.
Gently fold the dressing into the potato salad to avoid breaking up the potatoes too much.
Feel free to pin for later and let me know in the comments below how it turned out for you!
This was delicious! 🙂
Thanks Carrie! You all are great hosts❤️