This recipe for Chocolate Revel Bars was inspired by a treasure I found in one of my Mom’s old, well used cookbooks… and they did not disappoint! These Revel bars are made with an oatmeal cookie base, a layer of rich and indulgent fudge, then topped with additional oatmeal cookie dough, nuts and confectioner’s sugar, “ooooh yum!” My favorite way to enjoy these decadent Revel bars is with a scoop of coffee ice cream or fresh whole milk.
If you love baking cookies and bars, you may also enjoy my peanut butter brookies (brownie with peanut butter cookie dough) or Amish chocolate chip cookies. See below the recipe card for step by step photos and notes.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
- 13 by 9 inch baking dish (linked below)
- Mixing bowl (linked below)
- measuring cups (linked below)
- Spatula (linked below)
Oatmeal cookie layer:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
Chocolate fudge layer:
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- 1/3 cup crushed walnuts
- confectioner's sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together, then whisk in eggs and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt, then mix well again until lump free. Gently fold in the rolled oats until combined. *see note. Press two thirds of the cookie dough evenly into the bottom of a greased or parchment lined, 13 by 9 inch baking dish.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter over a double broiler while stirring frequently, or in a microwave at 30 second intervals (stir every 30 seconds or so). Once the chocolate chips are melted, whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, salt and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the chocolate fudge over the oatmeal cookie dough and spread out with a spatula to create an even layer of fudge over the cookie dough.
- Dot the fudge layer with the remaining cookie dough, then sprinkle the crushed walnuts and pecans over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes until the edges are beginning to brown and the cookie dough on the top is golden (these bars are softer if they are not overbaked). Allow to cool, then sprinkle sifted confectioner's sugar over top and enjoy!
Some Equipment needed for these Revel bars:
- 13 by 9 inch baking dish I prefer to use a glass baking dish, which makes it easier to check the bottom of these Revel bars for doneness.
- Mixing bowl Stainless steel mixing bowls are my personal preference for their sturdiness and dish washer friendliness.
- Measuring cups I also like to use stainless steel measuring cups, because I find them easier to clean than plastic measuring cups.
- Spatula A spatula is needed to smooth the chocolate fudge layer evenly onto the oatmeal cookie layer.
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
Ingredients needed for these Revel bars: Butter, eggs, salt, vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, old fashioned rolled oats, brown sugar, baking soda, crushed walnuts and pecans, flour and confectioner’s sugar (not shown).
If you only have either walnuts or pecans on hand, or simply prefer one over the other, you can substitute the preferred nut in for the other.
Step 1: Cream butter and brown sugar until well combined. Add eggs and vanilla extract, then whisk together until the mixture is smooth.
Step 2: Add flour, salt and baking soda and mix well to remove any lumps. Gently fold in the oatmeal until well combined. Spread 2/3 of the cookie dough into the bottom of a greased or parchment lined 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
As mentioned in the notes above, the oatmeal cookie dough should feel thick like oatmeal cookie dough. The cookie layer is the base for these Revel bars and needs to be thick enough to hold the fudge layer, but, you also don’t want the cookie base to be too dry or it will be crumbly.
Step 3: Melt the chocolate and butter together, then whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, salt and vanilla until the mixture is creamy.
This fudge layer stiffens as it cools, so for the best results you will want to spread it onto the cookie layer as soon as the fudge mixture is well combined.
Step 4: Pour the fudge layer onto the oatmeal cookie layer and use a table knife or spatula to evenly cover the cookie base.
Step 5: Dot the fudge layer with the remaining cookie dough, then sprinkle the crushed nuts over top.
If you prefer, you can switch it up and the nuts can be added directly onto the fudge layer, then the remaining cookie dough can be spread over top.
Step 6: Bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown and the cookie dough on top is golden. Allow to cool before sprinkling confectioner’s sugar on top and before cutting. Enjoy!
A list of additional Amish and Mennonite cookie recipes you may enjoy:
- Amish pumpkin cookies with caramel frosting
- Reese’s peanut butter skillet cookie
- Chocolate cake mix cookies with caramel frosting
- Thumbprint cookies
- Butterscotch toffee cookies
- Peanut butter blossoms
Feel free to pin for later and tag me on Instagram with a photo of your own creation of this recipe.