This deliciously easy ground beef and potato casserole is made with only 8 main ingredients and is a cinch to throw into the slow cooker on a busy day! This beef and potato casserole is made with cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, which binds the casserole together into a creamy and filling main dish that the whole family (including toddlers) can enjoy. If you enjoy easy crock pot casseroles you may also enjoy Amish Dairy Casserole, Amish Hot Dog Casserole or Crockpot Taco Casserole.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Cheesy Ground Beef and Potato Casserole (Slow cooker)
- Slow cooker (linked below)
- Mixing bowl (linked below)
- Skillet (linked below)
- Whisk (linked below)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 5-7 large Russet or Idaho potatoes peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 10.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet and season with salt and pepper (to taste). Whisk together the soups, chicken broth and garlic powder in a medium sized mixing bowl, then set aside for now. Prep onions and potatoes.
- Layer the sliced and peeled potatoes on the bottom of a 6-7 quart slow cooker and season with salt and pepper (optional), then sprinkle diced onions over the potatoes. Evenly layer the ground beef over the onions and potatoes, then spread 2 cups of shredded cheese over the ground beef.
- Pour the cream of soups mixture over the ground beef, then use a spatula to evenly spread the soup mixture over the ground beef. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the potatoes have softened.
- Once the potatoes are soft, sprinkle additional cheese over top. Dried or fresh parsley can also be added for garnish (optional). Allow the cheese to melt, then cool slightly and serve.
Equipment needed for this ground beef and potato casserole:
- 7 quart slow cooker/crockpot You will need a larger slow cooker such as a 6-7 quart for the amount this beef and potato casserole recipe makes.
- Mixing bowl I prefer to use a medium sized stainless steel mixing bowl for combining the soup and broth mixture in.
- Skillet My preference is to use my large Farberware (not an ad) skillet for browning the ground beef in.
- Whisk A whisk is useful for eliminating lumps and combining the soup and broth mixture.
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
Ingredients needed for this Slow cooker beef and potato casserole: Cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, shredded cheese, ground beef, garlic powder (optional), chicken broth and potatoes. Additional Optional ingredients: Dried or fresh parsley flakes, salt and pepper.
Optional veggie add-ins:
If you would like to add some more veggies to this casserole to make this casserole more of an all in one meal, you can also add sliced or chunked carrots, sliced mushrooms or frozen peas. Layer the carrots with the potatoes and onions before adding ground beef, cheese and soups. Layer canned or fresh mushroom slices over the potatoes before cooking. Frozen peas can be stirred into the beef and potato casserole in the last hour of slow cooking.
Step 1: Prep all the ingredients for the slow cooker, starting with browning the beef and combining the soups, garlic powder and broth, then ending with dicing the onions and peeling and slicing the potatoes.
It is best to prep all the other ingredients before prepping potatoes. Potatoes can turn brown, pinkish or black if left exposed too long after being peeled. Although it is considered safe (according various blog posts on google) to eat the potatoes after they turn a different color from being exposed to air (which is known as oxidation), it is best to get them covered up in the remaining ingredients as soon as possible to prevent the color change.
Step 2: Layer the casserole beginning with the sliced potatoes-onions-ground beef and ending with 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice, I used a combination of colby and cheddar).
Step 3: Pour the cream of soups mixture over the layered ingredients in the crockpot, using a spatula to spread the soups out evenly, ensuring the beef and potatoes are well covered. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Step 4: Once the potatoes are softened, sprinkle additional cheese over top (and dried or fresh parsley if you wish). Return the lid and allow the cheese to melt, then cool slightly and serve.
Storing the leftovers:
This beef and potato casserole can be frozen, but the casserole should be fully cooked before freezing. Raw potatoes can turn mushy or grainy if frozen, due to their high water content. Freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months in an airtight container or keep wrapped and refrigerated for several days before consuming.
Feel free to pin this recipe for later and tag me on Instagram to show off your own creation of this recipe. Thank you for your support!