These Oatmeal cherry bars are made with only 7 ingredients and are super easy! The perfect bar for a last minute hosting event or get-together, and a delicious treat that everyone can enjoy. These oatmeal cherry bars are made with an oatmeal cookie based crust that was inspired by a recipe from an Old Order Amish cookbook. The delicious bars are filled with a homemade cherry pie filling (or store bought in a pinch) and topped with a crumb topping. If you love desserts with oatmeal, you may also enjoy my Amish Oatmeal Whoopie Pies, Chocolate Revel Bars or Amish Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars with Crumb Topping.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Amish Oatmeal Cherry Bars with Crumb Topping
- 8 by 8 inch baking dish (linked below)
- Parchment paper (linked below)
- Mixing bowl (linked below)
- Large spoon (linked below)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 cups Cherry Pie Filling *see note
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit).
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl, mixing until only coarse crumbs remain.
- Press all but 2/3 cup of the oatmeal crumbs into the bottom of a greased or parchment lined 8 by 8 inch baking dish, ensuring no cracks remain. Spread the cherry pie filling over the oatmeal crumb base, then sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top.
- Bake the oatmeal cherry bars for 30-40 minutes until the oatmeal topping is golden, filling is hot and the oatmeal cookie base has browned slightly.
- Cool before cutting, then enjoy! *see below for storage.
Equipment needed for these Amish Oatmeal Cherry Bars with Crumb Topping:
- 8 by 8 inch baking dish You will need an 8 by 8 inch baking dish for the amount this recipe makes. Using a glass baking dish makes checking the sides and bottoms for doneness much easier.
- Parchment paper I personally prefer to line my baking dish with parchment paper when baking bars. Parchment paper makes lifting the oatmeal cherry bars from the pan for cutting much easier!
- Mixing bowl Stainless steel mixing bowls are my go-to for their sturdiness and durability.
- Large spoon You will need a large spoon or spatula to work with the oatmeal cookie crumb base and topping.
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
Ingredients needed for these Amish Oatmeal Cherry Bars with Crumb Topping: Cherry Pie Filling, rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda and butter.
Can I use store bought cherry pie filling?
You certainly can use store bought filling, but I can definitely vouch for the taste of homemade cherry pie filling over store bought if you have local cherries available and want to make these Amish oatmeal bars extra special!
Step 1: Combine the softened butter, brown sugar, oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl, mixing until only coarse crumbs remain.
Step 2: Press all but 2/3 cup of the oatmeal crumbs into the bottom of a greased or parchment lined 8 by 8 inch baking dish, ensuring no cracks remain. Spread the cherry pie filling over the oatmeal crumb base.
Step 2 continued: Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal crumbs evenly over top.
Step 3: Bake the oatmeal cherry bars for 30-40 minutes until the oatmeal topping is golden, filling is hot and the oatmeal cookie base has browned slightly.
Step 4: Cool before cutting and then enjoy!
Storage for these Amish Oatmeal Cherry Bars: These oatmeal cherry bars can be left at room temperature for a day or two, but any longer they should be refrigerated. These bars also freeze well and can be wrapped and stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Feel free to pin this recipe for later and tag me on Instagram to show off your own creation of this recipe. Thank you for your support!