I admire my Grandmother for many reasons, she is a survivor, hard worker, health and fitness enthusiast, business owner and mother of 8 all while being a member of the old order Amish church. This yummy recipe for protein balls was a treasure I found in the collection of recipes she had given me. After trying them I knew they are going to become a healthy snack staple at my house. What could be better than a treat that tastes like cookie dough or a no-bake cookie, but is protein rich and healthy to boot?! If you would enjoy more of Gramma’s recipe collection try Amish Buttermilk Pancakes, Beef Volcanoes, Peanut Butter Blossoms or Chocolate Eclairs.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Easy Protein Balls (Gramma’s recipe collection)
- Mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter *see nut free options below
- 1/4-1/2 cup honey add to taste
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or carob chips
- 2/3 cup crushed nuts walnuts, pecans, almonds etc.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons protein powder
- 1/4 cup raisins optional
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut optional
- Gently mix the peanut butter, honey, chocolate or carob chips, crushed nuts, rolled oats and protein powder until well combined. Fold in raisins (optional).
- Roll the peanut butter mixture into 17-18 balls, then roll into the shredded, flaked coconut (optional). Place the protein balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet, then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour until stiff.
- Remove the protein balls from the parchment paper and enjoy immediately or place into an airtight container or zip-lock bags. Keep refrigerated for several weeks, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Equipment needed for these easy Protein Balls:
- Mixing bowl I prefer to use one of my stainless steel mixing bowls for mixing up these peanut butter protein balls. Stainless steel mixing bowls are also easy to clean!
- Baking sheet A baking sheet is needed to chill the protein balls so that they stiffen up to hold their shape before being stored.
- Parchment paper Parchment paper is useful for placing these protein balls onto. Not only does parchment paper save on the mess, it also keeps the protein balls from sticking onto the baking sheet before they are chilled.
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
Ingredients needed for these easy protein balls: Protein powder, honey, peanut butter, chocolate chips, crushed nuts, flaked coconut (optional) and rolled oats.
What can I use if I can’t have nuts?
If you have a peanut or nut allergy, you can try making these protein balls with Wow Butter or other Nut Free Peanut Butter alternatives. Swap out the nuts for dried fruit such as raisins or dried cranberries. You could also substitute pumpkin seeds or sun flower seeds for a bit of crunch.
Step 1: Combine the peanut butter, honey, chocolate or carob chips, crushed nuts, rolled oats and protein powder until well combined. Fold in raisins (optional).
Step 2: Roll the peanut butter mixture into 17-18 balls, then roll into the shredded, flaked coconut (optional). Place the protein balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet, then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour until stiff.
Step 3: Remove the protein balls from the parchment paper and enjoy immediately or place into an airtight container or zip-lock bags.
Are these protein balls good for kids?
My kids love these protein balls because they taste a lot like no-bake cookies or cookie dough. It is a great way to get extra protein into their diets and I love that I can give them these protein balls as a “treat” knowing that they are actually getting a healthy snack!
Storage options for these easy protein balls:
Keep these protein balls refrigerated for several weeks in an airtight container or zip-lock bags. You can also freeze these protein balls for up to 3 months.
Feel free to pin this recipe for later and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram with a photo of your own creation!