These simple burrito bowls actually surprised me with how flavorful and easy they were!! Chicken is slow cooked with beans, corn, seasonings and salsa, then paired with rice and cheese to make the base for the burrito bowl. Toppings are optional, but delicious, and can be added to make this dish a meal in one. We especially enjoyed these burrito bowls with the avocado and cilantro sauce drizzled on top, but the sauce is also optional. If you love Mexican themed dishes, you may also enjoy slow cooker chicken enchiladas, baked chicken chimichangas or slow cooker chicken taco soup.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Slow cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls (with avocado cilantro sauce)
- crockpot (linked below)
- Saucepan (linked below)
- Blender (linked below)
- Condiment bottle (linked below)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast roughly 2 large breasts
- 1 cup salsa mild or hot
- 15.5 oz. chili beans or black beans, drained *see note
- 15.25 oz. canned corn kernels, drained *see note
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning from 1 oz. packet (can be added to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 3 cups cooked rice (click the link for the recipe)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or taco style cheese (optional)
Avocado cilantro sauce (optional):
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and removed from skin
- Juice of one lime
- 1-2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (optional)
- Shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced onion, salsa, fresh guacamole, sour cream, sliced jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, etc.
- Place the chicken breast into a 6-7 quart crockpot and season with taco seasoning, salt and garlic powder (optional).
- Add drained corn and beans, then pour salsa evenly over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Once the chicken is cooked through, shred with a fork.
- Add cooked rice and cheese to the shredded chicken and stir all together. Serve immediately or keep on warm for up to an hour.
Avocado lime sauce:
- Place all the ingredients for the avocado lime sauce into a blender, except for salt and pepper. Blend until smooth, adding water as needed to get the right consistency, then add salt and pepper to taste and blend again to incorporate the seasonings.
- Serve in a serving dish with a spoon, or in a squeezable condiment bottle.
Equipment needed for these slow cooker chicken burrito bowls.
- Crockpot To cook the chicken, beans, corn and salsa, you will need a 6-7 quart crockpot.
- Saucepan You can use a sauce pan or a rice cooker to cook the rice for these burrito bowls.
- Blender A blender is needed to blend the ingredients of the creamy and tangy avocado lime sauce.
- Condiment bottle We prefer to use a condiment bottle for the avocado lime sauce. Using a condiment bottle makes serving the sauce much easier.
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
Ingredients needed for the chicken burrito bowls: Chicken breast, Taco seasoning, corn, beans, garlic powder, salt, salsa, shredded cheese, rice (not shown).
Because I am cooking for toddlers, I usually go light on the taco seasoning and use a mild homemade salsa. Feel free to add additional taco seasoning, once the chicken is cooked through and if you find it needs more flavor.
Cheese is optional if you wish to cut out some calories. You can also use the shredded cheese of your choice in this burrito bowl.
Step 1: Place the chicken into a large crockpot/slow cooker, then season with salt, taco seasoning and garlic powder (optional).
At this point the seasoning will look like a lot, but keep in mind that the rice and chicken will soak up a lot of the flavor. If you wish to play it safe, you can also add salt to taste once the chicken is cooked through and the rice is added.
Step 2: Add drained beans and corn to the seasoned chicken breast in the crockpot, then pour salsa over top.
Step 3: Cover and cook the chicken breast on low or high as directed in the recipe card. Once the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees Fahrenheit), shred with a fork.
Step 4: Stir in cooked rice and cheese (optional), then serve immediately or keep on warm for up to an hour.
Avocado lime sauce: Place the ripe avocado, lime juice, cilantro, sour cream, minced garlic and water into a blender. Blend the sauce until smooth (more water can be added if needed), then season with salt and pepper to taste and blend again to combine.
The avocado lime sauce is one of my favorite parts of these chicken burrito bowls, however, the sauce can easily be omitted if you are low on time or don’t have the ingredients on hand. You can also serve the burrito bowls with fresh guacamole, or even just plain avocado, salsa and sour cream. The topping options are endless, optional and customizable to taste!
Last but not least… Compile the burrito bowl with your favorite toppings (such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, onions, guacamole, avocado sauce, salsa, etc.) or enjoy it plain!
Feel free to pin for later and be sure to tag me on Instagram with a photo of your own creation!