Prep time 10 min.
Cook time 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 cup whole kernel corn see note*
- 2 15 oz. cans mild chili beans with sauce.
- 2 cups beef broth see note*
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 15 oz. stewed tomato chunks drained. (or see Tip below)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt. (or to taste)
- 1 cup marinara or tomato sauce
- shredded cheese for topping
- In a large stock pot, brown ground beef with onions and garlic, in olive oil. Stir in Italian seasoning.
- Add corn, beans, tomato chunks, beef broth and tomato juice to browned beef. Stir well, then stir in seasonings, adjusting to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to med-low and stir in tomato sauce/marinara. stir well and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly before serving.
note 1* You can use 15 oz. canned corn kernels, drained.
Note 2* You can substitute chicken broth or two cups water and two beef bouillon cubes.
Tip: I like to take 3 large beef steak tomatoes, or 5 Roma tomatoes and cut them in half, then place them skin side down on a cookie sheet and drizzle olive oil over them. Sprinkle over Tomatoes, grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast the tomatoes at 450 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, then chop into chunks and use in the chili instead of canned tomatoes. This really boosts the flavor!