This moist cornbread is an easy recipe that was inspired by a Mennonite cookbook. The simple corn bread is made extra delicious with the crispy edges from being baked in a cast iron skillet! See below the recipe card for step by step photos.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Cast Iron skillet corn bread
- Cast Iron Skillet (linked below)
- Mixing bowl (linked below)
- Spatula (linked below)
- 1 1/4 cup fine yellow corn meal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 425.
- Grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet with olive oil. In a medium sized bowl, mix first 5 dry ingredients, then stir in milk, beaten egg, and cooking oil until the batter is smooth and well combined. Gently stir shredded cheese into the batter (optional).
- Transfer the corn bread batter to the greased cast Iron skillet and then bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, then enjoy with butter and honey (optional) and serve with soups and chili or even plain with cup cheese (also optional).
- Cast Iron skillet Although you could bake this cast iron corn bread in a 8 by 8 inch baking dish, I highly recommend trying it out in a cast iron skillet!
- Mixing bowl I prefer stainless steel mixing bowls because they have always been nice and sturdy and dish washer friendly for me.
- Spatula A spatula is handy for scraping every last drop of corn bread batter (or close) into the skillet!
Step 1: Combine Dry Ingredients then add the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined and smooth.
Step 2: Pour into a greased 9-10 inch cast iron skillet and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 3: Allow the cornbread to cool slightly and top with your favorite toppings, such as butter, honey, spread cheese or queso etc. and enjoy!
Feel free to pin this recipe for later (Pinterest icon below) and show off your creations by tagging me on Instagram at thismom.cooks. Thank you for your support!!
[…] Chili Pairs very Well with Cornbread. Combine the two and you have a delicious […]
[…] Cast Iron skillet corn bread […]