Deliciously crisp chicken rollups that are filled with swiss cheese and bacon and then fried and baked to reach crisp perfection. Last, but not least, the parmesan sauce adds a beautiful element of flavor to these Chicken bacon and swiss rollups.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Chicken, bacon and swiss rollups with creamy parmesan sauce.
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 4 slices swiss cheese halved
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Old bay seasoning *see note
- 2 large eggs beaten
For the parmesan sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard or to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Preheat oven to 400.
- Cover a large, rectangular cookie sheet with parchment paper, then line bacon strips on top. Bake bacon for 10 to 15 minutes, until par-baked.
- Cut chicken strips in half length-wise, then cover with plastic wrap. Flatten chicken breasts with a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat tenderizer. Cut strips in half (length-wise again), so that you have 8 thin, flat strips. Layer swiss cheese strips, then bacon slices on top of the chicken strips.
- Roll up the chicken, bacon and swiss, then secure with a toothpick. Repeat the process for all 8 strips. Beat eggs, then mix flour, bread crumbs, and spices in a separate bowl. Dip chicken rollups in egg on all sides then dredge with flour and shake off the excess. Place Rollups in an 8 by 8 inch baking dish and cover with plastic wrap, then refrigerate the rollups for 30 minutes to firm them up for frying.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet (around 1/4 inch of oil), and preheat oven to 425. Remove chicken rollups from the refrigerator, then fry in hot oil for 3-5 minutes per side until nice and golden. Return fried chicken rollups to the 8 by 8 inch baking dish ( you may need to wipe excess flour from the dish first), then bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and reaches 165 degrees.
- While chicken rollups are baking, melt butter in a small sauce pan, then whisk in flour until smooth. Add milk and bring to a light boil, stirring rapidly for a minute or two until sauce has thickened. Turn heat to low, then stir in salt to taste, mustard, soy sauce and parmesan cheese. Cook and stir until all components are well combined and the sauce is thick and creamy. Allow cooked chicken rollups to cool slightly, then serve with warm mustard sauce.
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
We had this dish with honeyed carrots and macaroni with cheese sauce ( I cheated a bit and made a double batch of the parmesan sauce, then stirred half of it into the macaroni), It was delicious!
Before sauce. You can also skip the sauce and serve these with your favorite dipping sauce such as honey mustard sauce, if you prefer.
With the creamy sauce!
For a Step by Step Photo Tutorial of this recipe; Follow me on Pinterest and see the Chicken Bacon Swiss Rollups Idea pin.
Feel free to pin for later and leave a comment below.