This sweet and tangy onion dressing was a recipe shared by my Mother-in-law, it is always a treat to eat her fresh salads with this delicious dressing drizzled over top and this dressing also tastes delicious as a topping for Amish haystacks or crispy baked chimichangas!
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Mary’s Sweet and Tangy Onion Dressing
- Blender (linked below)
- Cutting board (linked below)
- Chef's knife (linked below)
- Condiment bottle (linked below)
- 1/2 cup chopped white or yellow onion *see note
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- Chop the onion, then place into a blender. Add sugar, salt, pepper, celery seed, prepared yellow mustard, white vinegar and mayonnaise.
- Blend until creamy, then remove the center cap and slowly drizzle in the one cup of vegetable(or canola) oil, while the blender is still running at a low or medium speed.
- Once the oil is fully combined and the dressing is creamy, pour the onion dressing into a condiment jar or squeeze bottle and keep refrigerated. Serve with fresh salads, hay stacks, roasted potatoes and more!
Equipment needed for this Homemade Sweet and Tangy Onion Dressing:
- Blender You will need a blender or food processor to blend the ingredients together until this homemade onion dressing is smooth and creamy.
- Cutting board A cutting board is useful for chopping up the onion and leaving less mess and no scratches on your countertop surface.
- Chef’s knife I like to use a bigger chef’s knife for chopping up veggies like the onion used in this salad dressing.
- Condiment bottle A squeezable condiment bottle with a sealable cap is very nice to have for storing this homemade sweet and tangy onion dressing in.
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
This sweet onion dressing is delicious on top of these crispy baked chimichangas, or on a fresh strawberry and feta spinach salad. Really, the options are endless with this sweet and tangy onion based dressing!
Fee free to pin this recipe for later and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram to show off your favorite way to use this homemade salad dressing!