Prep time: 5 min.
Cook time: 3.5-5 hours
- 5-6 Large Restaurant style potatoes
- 1-2 garlic cloves (optional).
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Water to cover potatoes
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 to 3/4 cup warmed milk. *See Note
- 1/4 cup butter plus 2 tablespoons (divided).
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped chives (optional).
Follow along for weekly Recipes and meal ideas, or sign up below for Email updates each time a new recipe is added to the blog.
- Peel (optional) and chop potatoes, then place them into the slow cooker/crock pot along with chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 cup hot water (or stir the potato mixture in the crock pot after an hour or two once water has heated enough to dissolve chicken bouillon cubes), salt and sliced garlic clove/s. Add water until the potatoes are well covered, then cover and cook on High for 3.5 to 5 hours until fork tender. *See note.
- Once potatoes are soft, drain water, then cube and slice the cream cheese and butter, and add to drained potatoes along with chopped chives, reserving some chives for garnishing potatoes (optional). Beat with a hand mixer (in a separate bowl if you wish to avoid scratching your crock pot) to combine, then add a little warm milk, and then continue beating and adding milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Brown two tablespoons of butter and spoon potatoes into a serving bowl. Pour browned butter over top and garnish with remaining chopped chives. Enjoy!
Note 1* Potatoes done in the slow cooker soak up more moisture than if they are boiled. Normally I use around a cup of milk for my Amish style Mashed Potatoes, but for these crock pot potatoes it only took 1/2 cup. I suggest adding milk only until you reach the consistency that is right for you and yours.
Note 2* Newer Crock Pots tend to cook hotter and faster, so if you have an older Crock Pot allow for at least 4.5- 5 hours on High.
I Love the fact that I don’t have to worry about my potatoes cooking over and making a mess if I do them in the crockpot!
My family really enjoyed these potatoes with the added garlic, chives and browned butter. We will definitely be having these again!
Let me know what you think in the comments below! Thank you for your support!