Prep time: 15 min.
Bake time: 30-40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs, beaten.
- 1 1/4 cups tomato juice (divided).
- 1 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- American cheese slices, quartered. Note* you can also use swiss or cheddar cheese slices, or any of your favorite cheese.
Follow along for more weekly dinner ideas, Amish Recipes and more!
Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix ground beef, eggs, 1/2 cup tomato juice, quick oats, diced onion, ground mustard, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings together in a large bowl.
- Form the beef mixture into 11-12 large meatballs and place them into a 9 by 13 inch baking dish, then press into the center of each meatball creating a hole/cavern to place the cheese into.
- Press one or two cheese squares into each meatball center, then pour 3/4 cup tomato juice over top, covering each meatball equally with juice.
- Bake the beef volcanoes for 30-40 minutes, or until the center temperature reaches 160 degrees.
Serve these meatballs with Amish Style Mashed Potatoes or buttered noodles with a few dashes of garlic salt. Try Cheddar & Bacon Green beans for a vegetable side, or try asparagus spears baked at 375 for 12- 15 minutes; with lemon juice from 1/2 of a lemon, salt, pepper and grated parmesan cheese (you can also add a little garlic powder if you like).
My Grandmother (who is still a member of the old order Amish church) recently shared a lot of her old recipes with me. I am hoping to share one or more per week, so stay tuned for recipes called Grandma’s Amish Recipe collection!