Prep time: 15-20 min.
Bake time: 30-40 min.
Slow Cooker/Crock Pot time : 3-5 hours
- 16 oz. large Baby Bella or large Cremini mushrooms.
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened.
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning *see note.
- 8 oz. imitation crab meat *see note.
- Italian style bread crumbs
Follow along for weekly recipes and meal ideas, or sign up below for email updates on new recipes.
- Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems, then set aside on a paper towel to dry.
- Cream the cream cheese until smooth then gently mix in cheeses, sour cream and seasonings until well combined. Chop the imitation crab to small bits, then add to the cream cheese mixture. Mix gently again until well combined.
- If baking these mushrooms; preheat oven to 375. If using a crock pot/slow cooker; lightly grease the crock pot with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Pat mushrooms dry with a paper towel, then stuff each mushroom to preference with the crab and cream cheese mixture.
- Place the Mushrooms in a 13 by 9 inch baking dish or a 4-7 quart crock pot. Sprinkle Italian style bread crumbs over the stuffed mushrooms.
- Baked Version: Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes until mushrooms have softened and the topping has browned slightly.
- Crock Pot/Slow Cooker version: Cook the mushrooms on low for 3-5 hours until the mushrooms have softened (Cooking times may vary). Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
#1 You do not need to pre-cook the mushrooms because they cook/bake very nicely while stuffed. I find that baking them or slow cooking them with the cream cheese/crab filling helps the flavors to blend together nicely.
#2 The seasonings in this recipe can be adjusted to taste. Feel free to add more or less seasoning to your preference!
#3 If you are not a fan of imitation crab you can always substitute the crab with finely chopped imitation lobster or even pre-cooked mini shrimp.
Crock Pot version. I tried half a batch of Crab Stuffed Mushrooms in my 2.5 quart crock pot which took 4 hours and 45 minutes. The other half of the batch was done in my 7 quart crock pot and was finished in just under 3 hours.
Before and after being slow cooked.
My preference for the stuffed mushrooms is to bake them in order to get that nicely browned topping, however cooking them in the crock pot does not change the flavor and is a great option if you need to prep them ahead of time or need extra space in your oven!