These crab stuffed mushrooms are one of my favorite appetizers. stuffed with imitation crab, 3 cheeses and Old bay and Cajun seasoning, they make a great appetizer or side to any meal! These are especially fun to have on hand for holiday parties and hosting events. If you are a seafood lover you may also enjoy Salmon stuffed shells or Salmon sushi bowls!
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Crab stuffed mushrooms (crockpot or baked)
- Slow cooker (linked below)
- baking dish (linked below)
- 16 oz. large Baby Bella or Cremini mushrooms
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Old bay seasoning or to taste
- 8 oz. imitation crab meat *see note below
- fine Italian style bread crumbs or plain
Baked method: Preheat oven to 375.
- Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems, then set aside on a paper towel to dry. Cream the cream cheese until smooth, then gently mix in cheeses, sour cream and seasonings. Chop the imitation crab to small bits, then add to the cream cheese mixture. Mix gently again until well combined.
- Pat mushrooms dry with a paper towel, then stuff each mushroom to preference with the crab and cream cheese mixture. Place the Mushrooms in a 13 by 9 inch baking dish and sprinkle Italian seasoning over top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes until mushrooms have softened and the topping has browned slightly. Cool slightly and enjoy!
Slow cooker Method:
- Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems, then set aside on a paper towel to dry. Cream the cream cheese until smooth then gently mix in cheeses, sour cream and seasonings. Chop the imitation crab to small bits, then add to the cream cheese mixture. Mix gently again until well combined.
- Pat mushrooms dry with a paper towel, then stuff each mushroom to preference with the crab and cream cheese mixture.
- Lightly grease a 4-5 quart crockpot with olive oil or cooking spray, then place the mushrooms inside and sprinkle breadcrumbs over top (you may need to stack some), then cook on low for 3.5-5 hours until the mushrooms are softened and the filling is hot.
- Slow cooker I recommend using a 4-5 quart slow cooker for these mushrooms. I have used a 2.5 quart for a half batch which also works well.
- Baking dish If you prefer to bake these stuffed crab mushrooms you will need a 13 by 9 inch baking dish.
Try serving these mushrooms with Homemade Barbequed Meatballs or White Chicken Skillet Lasagna.
#1 You do not need to pre-cook the mushrooms because they cook/bake very nicely while stuffed. I find that baking them or slow cooking them with the cream cheese/crab filling helps the flavors to blend together nicely.
#2 The seasonings in this recipe can be adjusted to taste. Feel free to add more or less seasoning to your preference!
#3 If you are not a fan of imitation crab you can always substitute the crab with finely chopped imitation lobster or even pre-cooked mini shrimp.
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
Crockpot method: I did half of a batch of these crab stuffed mushrooms in my 2.5 quart crockpot and they were done in around 4 hours. Cooking times may vary depending on crockpot size and strength. Cook until the mushrooms are softened to preference and the filling is hot.
Combine the filling and then wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. Fill the mushrooms with the filling and then place into a baking dish or crockpot.
Slow cook or bake until the mushrooms are soft and the filling is hot.
My preference for the stuffed mushrooms is to bake them in order to get that nicely browned topping. However, cooking them in the crock pot does not change the flavor and is a great option if you need to prep them ahead of time or need extra space in your oven!
Feel free to pin for later and show off your creation of this recipe by tagging me on Instagram.