These Amish Garlic Pretzel knots are made with a pretzel dough that is similar to the mall chain, Auntie Anne’s soft pretzels. These easy pretzel knots are dipped in baking soda water, sprinkled with pretzel salt, then baked and topped off with butter, garlic powder and the optional parmesan cheese. These Amish Garlic Pretzel Knots also make a delicious toasted breakfast sandwich with cup cheese, fried eggs, and ham or bacon the next day!
Feel free to follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes, or sign up below for email updates on new recipes.
Amish garlic pretzel knots (made with soft pretzel dough)
- 2 tablespoons Active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour (occident)
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour *see note below.
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
Garlic butter topping:
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together yeast, warm water and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then stir in salt.
- Transfer bowl to a stand mixer (or knead the dough by hand) and add 1 cup bread flour. Mix for a few minutes until well incorporated, then continue-one cup at a time-with the next one cup of bread flour and 1 cup all purpose flour, reserving the last 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- Sprinkle reserved flour onto a counter top, then remove the dough from mixer and knead; incorporating remaining flour (may need more or less than 1/4 cup flour) if the dough is sticky. Once the dough is soft, pliable and no longer sticking to the counter top, return it to a lightly greased bowl and cover with a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise for 20-30 minutes. *See note below.
- Flour the counter top surface, then remove the dough from the bowl and shape it into a log. Cut 12 sections and roll them into thin strips using the excess flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Tie each strip into a basic knot, tucking the ends under the knot and pinching off the excess dough.
- Whisk 3/4 cup warm water and baking soda together in a medium sized bowl. Dunk the garlic pretzel knots in the baking soda mixture and then transfer them to cookie sheets lined with buttered parchment paper. Sprinkle the pretzel knots with sea salt.
- Bake the garlic pretzel knots for 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven until puffed up and golden brown on the top and bottom. Combine melted butter and garlic powder, then brush over the tops of the baked garlic pretzel knots. Sprinkle the warm, buttered garlic pretzel knots with grated parmesan (optional) and serve with cup cheese.
Note* The dough may only need to rise for 20 minutes if you are having a warm and humid day. Here in the Northeast I prefer 30 minutes in the winter, but on a warm summer day, 20 minutes of rise time is perfect for these Pretzel garlic knots
These pretzel garlic knots tend to spread out a good bit in the oven (losing some of their original shape in the process) which is why I only do 6-7 per baking sheet. If needed you can switch the baking sheets around during the baking process to get a nice, even bake.
If you wish you can make these garlic knots larger (approximately the size of hamburger buns). They are delicious with grilled Hamburgers or as a breakfast sandwich!
Feel free to pin for later! Let me know your comments in the comment section below. Thank you for your support!