This savory chicken and zucchini pie with curry seasoning, is a tasty savory pie that can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner! This chicken curry pie was inspired by the Great British Baking show and is one of our favorite ways to use up zucchini in the summer when the garden gives us an abundance of fresh veggies to use up. If you love all things pie, you may also enjoy Amish coconut cream pie, Amish chicken pot pie, or Amish pumpkin custard pie.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
Curried chicken and Zucchini pie
- 9 inch pie plate (linked below)
- sauce pan (linked below)
- basting brush (linked below)
- Spatula (linked below)
- 2 9 inch pie crusts for top and bottom layer of the pie
- 1/3 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups shredded chicken (we prefer dark meat)
- 3 cups chunked and peeled zucchini (with seeds removed)
- 4 oz. canned mushrooms drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce *see note below
- 1 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder *see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- salt and/or garlic salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 egg beaten for egg wash
Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large saucepan, saute vegetables in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil until tender. Add chicken, mushrooms, marinara sauce, and seasonings. Stir well and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until all vegetables are slightly softened (they will also continue to soften in the oven). *see note below.
- Roll out pie crusts and place one into a 9 inch glass pie plate. Set the remaining pie crust aside for now.
- Dump the chicken mixture into the pie crust, filling to the top (you may have some chicken mixture left over) and top with second pie crust. Flute the edges together, ensuring there are no cracks.
- Brush on some of the beaten egg, then bake for 50 minutes to an hour, until the bottom and the top of the pie crust is golden and the filling is hot. Cool slightly and enjoy!
Equipment needed for this curried chicken and zucchini pie:
- 9 inch pie plate I prefer to use glass pie plates for baking pies, glass makes it easier to check the bottoms of the pies for doneness.
- Sauce pan You will need a larger sauce pan for cooking the chicken and veggie filling in.
- Basting brush A basting brush is needed for brushing the egg wash over the pie crust. Egg wash seals the pie crust which helps to prevent leakage while the pie is baking.
- Spatula A large spoon and/or spatula is needed to stir the filling while it is cooking and also for transferring the filling from the sauce pan to the pie plate.
Notes* I like to use thicker pie crusts for savory pies than I would for a sweet pie, I find it helps to prevent a soggy bottom.
The filling in this recipe should look somewhat dry as the zucchini will continue to cook in the oven and become more watery.
Remember summertime with endless zucchini? I was inspired to create this savory pie that is a cross between a British and Indian dish when I had an abundance of zucchini, and was watching the British baking show.
Feel free to pin for later and let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments below!
[…] Try serving this creamed corn with Rice and Beef Casserole with Cracker Topping, Steak and Rice dinner. or with Chicken Curry Pie! […]