Margherita Pizza is a very easy pizza recipe that originates from Italy with the red, white and green of the fresh mozzarella, basil and tomatoes representing the Italian flag. This flatbread Margherita Pizza Recipe with fresh basil and roasted tomatoes also uses homemade Naan which can be made the morning before leaving you with minimal dinner prep!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 5-10 minutes
- 3-4 Naan Flatbreads (click the link for the recipe.)
- Pizza sauce
- 8 oz. Fresh mozzarella
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh Basil (whole or diced)
- 1 cup cherry tomato halves or 2-3 sliced Roma tomatoes.
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
Follow along on social media for weekly recipes and meal ideas or sign up below for email updates on new recipes. I would love to hear your comments as well!
Preheat oven to 475.
- Take the Naan Flatbreads and place them on a large pizza stone. Spread pizza sauce over the top of each one then add fresh Mozzarella slices.
- Prepare the tomato slices by placing the halves or slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, then season lightly with salt, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Roast the tomatoes for 10-15 minutes in the preheated oven and then remove them and bake the pizza with fresh mozzarella until the mozzarella has melted slightly and the Naan flatbreads have browned a little on the edges (*see notes below).
- Once the Margherita pizza has baked, remove the pizzas from the oven then place roasted tomatoes and fresh basil over top. Enjoy! Keep scrolling for Photos and Notes.
Although I highly recommend making your own Naan, If you are needing to cut even more prep time out of this meal you can use flatbread or Naan from your local grocery store instead of homemade.
I definitely recommend roasting the tomatoes before adding them to the pizza. The first time I made this pizza I simply added the tomatoes before baking, but sadly the excess juice from the tomatoes ran off and then I ended up with a soggy Naan crust.
If you prefer you can omit the garlic powder and Italian seasoning from the tomatoes and simply add the olive oil and salt instead.