These fluffy buttermilk pancakes from scratch are bursting with a delightful fruit flavor and perfect for any morning when you just want something a little extra special for breakfast. This recipe originated from my old order Amish grandmother’s recipe collection and you can also make plain buttermilk pancakes or chocolate chip pancakes with the buttermilk pancake batter.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Triple berry pancakes with buttermilk
- Large non-stick skillet
- Mixing bowl
- Paring knife
- Cutting board
- glass measuring cup with a pour spout
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda *see note
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar granulated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk *see note.
- 1/3 cup strawberries (cut into small chunks)
- 1/3 cup blueberries (whole)
- 1/3 cup raspberries (sliced in half length-wise)
- butter for frying
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Stir in egg and buttermilk until the batter is smooth and silky. Gently fold in strawberries, blueberries and raspberries, being careful not to crush them.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet and one tablespoon butter over medium heat until the butter starts to sizzle slightly. Adjust heat to medium low if needed, then working in batches, pour 1/2 cup batter for each pancake onto the skillet and cook them until bubbles start to form on top and the bottom is nicely golden. Flip the pancakes with a spatula and allow them to cook for another minute or two until both sides are golden, then remove from heat.
- Optional: Serve the pancakes with your favorite syrup, butter, whipped topping and extra fruit.
- Large non-stick skillet I prefer a large skillet so that I can work in bigger batches when making the pancakes, which keeps the first batch fresher!
- Mixing bowl I use a medium sized metal mixing bowl for these buttermilk pancakes.
- Paring knife A small paring knife works very well when working with small fruit such as the strawberries and raspberries in these triple berry pancakes.
- Cutting board I prefer to use a plastic cutting board that is dishwasher friendly for chopping messier fruits and veggies.
- Glass measuring cup with a pour spout I prefer to use Pyrex (not and ad) glass measuring cups with a pour spout for better control of the pancake batter while pouring onto the skillet.
Note* Although I highly recommend using real buttermilk to get the best flavor out of these pancakes, if you need to use a last minute substitute you can. If using a buttermilk substitute you may need to adjust the amount depending on which buttermilk substitute you use (the lemon/vinegar and milk substitute will be runnier than yoghurt and milk).
For more breakfast and Brunch ideas try Breakfast Paninis with Chick-fil-A based Dipping Sauce. Crustless Cheesy Bacon Quiche or Stuffed French Toast!
I loved the Bearenstain bear stories as a child. One story that really stood out to me was “Mama’s day surprise,” when Brother and Sister bear take Mama bear breakfast in bed after making a huge mess in the kitchen. But hey, for us Mamas it’s the thought that counts right?! 🙂