This hearty and filling chicken and rice casserole is a quick dump and go comfort food that you can look forward to coming home too. This recipe was inspired by a Mennonite cookbook and is a win for everyone in the family! You may also enjoy Slow cooker Amish sausage and cabbage casserole or Slow cooker mozzarella stuffed meatballs.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Follow along for more Amish and Mennonite recipes and feel free to leave a rating and comment in the comment section below!
Chicken and Rice crockpot casserole
- 3 cups cubed chicken breast uncooked
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chicken broth *see note
- 10.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon season all (Lawry's salt)
- 1 1/2 cups dry rice *see note
- Shredded cheddar cheese optional
- Place cubed chicken breast into the crock pot. Saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender (optional), then dump into the crock pot with the chicken breast. Whisk together soups, chicken broth and seasonings in a medium sized bowl, then pour over chicken and veggies in the crock pot.
- Turn crock pot to low and cook the chicken and soup mixture for 2-3 hours until chicken is just cooked through, then stir in the rice and cook for another 1.5 to 2 hours until the rice is fully softened and has soaked up all the moisture.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over top of the casserole at the last 5 minutes of cooking and allow to melt. Cool slightly and enjoy!
Subscribe today and get free meal inspirations delivered to your doorstep!
We like to have this Chicken and rice casserole with Applesauce, Homemade Whole Wheat Bread and Lemon Parmesan Asparagus. It would also be great with Cheddar & Bacon Green beans and Chunky m&m Cookies for dessert!
Steps 1-2: Place cubed chicken and sauteed veggies in the crockpot, then add cream of soups, broth and seasonings.
Note#1 If all moisture has evaporated from the casserole but the rice is still crunchy, you can stir in another 1/2 cup (more or less) of chicken broth and allow the casserole to keep cooking for another 20-30 minutes.
Step 3: Cook on low for 2-3 hours then add rice and cook another 1.5-3 hours until the rice is cooked through. Top with cheese and enjoy!
Note#2 Cooking times may vary depending on size and strength of crock pot, my 2.5 quart casserole crock pot took a good five hours and 15 minutes to finish the casserole, but my seven quart (a new crock pot that is more of a speed cooker in my opinion) had the casserole done by 3.5 hours. The best way to determine times is to cook the chicken and soup mixture on low (or high if you want less time) until the chicken is cooked through (but just so), then add the rice and cook on low for at least an hour and a half to two and a half hours until it has softened and soaked up all the moisture. Add cheese and allow it to melt, then cool slightly and enjoy! The beauty of using a crock pot for chicken breast is that it cooks with a moist heat which keeps the breasts from drying out as quickly.
Note#3 The chicken, veggie and soup mixture can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for several hours to overnight, which makes this casserole a great Sunday lunch option!
Feel free to pin for later and leave a rating in the recipe card. You can also show off your own chicken and rice casserole by tagging me on Instagram with a photo of your creation!